Mili Meme

Palestinians Have One Question For Israel: Where Exactly Can We Live?

by Joharah Baker, Uruknet

Let’s presume the majority of Israel’s government and people are not of the opinion of some other more radical elements in that society who call for the transfer of Palestinians outside the country [preferably to Jordan]. Let’s say the majority of Israelis still believe in “peace” – and I use this word loosely, and a settlement – even more loosely – with the Palestinians. If this majority believes the Palestinians should be able to live on land it can call its own, then the question that arises in light of circumstances that point to the contrary, is where exactly are these Palestinians allowed to live?

I know this sounds simplistic and perhaps a bit sarcastic, which it admittedly is. But it is a valid question considering Israel’s increasingly intransigent positions towards facilitating such a settlement. Will Palestinians live in Jerusalem? Well, no, at least not in a Jerusalem that is part of their future state of Palestine. Jerusalem, if you recall, is the “undivided, eternal capital of Israel.” Israel has made it quite clear over the years it is not about to relinquish that self-granted, so-called God-given right.

Ok, then if not in Jerusalem, where else can the Palestinians live comfortably and freely? Let’s see, in the occupied territories. Yes, even international law insists that land captured by Israel in the 1967 War is occupied land. The borders of the West Bank and Gaza [and east Jerusalem for that matter] are the internationally accepted perimeters for a final settlement between the two states. It only makes sense that Israel withdraw from the areas it is militarily controlling – and please, no one dare try and say it is not controlling the major Palestinian cities, because this is not the funny pages. That way, it can remain on the land it “acquired” [I’m being nice here with my choice of words] in the 1948 War and we can finally live as any other nation in our rightful homeland.

Stop! This fantasy can be thrown out of the window as well. Are we forgetting the tiny obstacle called settlements? These monstrous structures, along with their infrastructure, roads and the separation wall built to protect them take up some 40 percent of West Bank land. Even in the best case scenario – which would be Israel dismantling some of the smaller settlements and outposts in a final agreement, the major settlement blocs are non-negotiable. Israel wants them for itself. Perhaps in an unbalanced “land swap”, the Palestinians would get some arid desert land in the Negev in exchange, probably the most inhospitable area of land in all of Palestine. Nice deal, indeed.

Well, that leaves about half of the West Bank for us. Excellent. Ramallah, Nablus and Hebron would definitely be part of an independent Palestine. Gaza, too. How the newly independent Palestinians are going to go back and forth to Gaza is yet to be agreed on. The details are a whole different ballgame.

Ok, so what about those Palestinians who endured the 1948 War and continue to live within what are now the borders of Israel? They were forced upon the new Zionists whose dream was to create a purely Jewish state and have remained the proverbial thorn in Israel’s side. So, barring those whose villages were pillaged and destroyed by the invading Jewish and Israeli armies, can the others live wherever they wish within the borders of their homeland? Actually no. This week, 50 rabbis signed an open letter urging Jews not to rent to non-Jews – retranslated of course, into Palestinian Arabs. “He who sells or rents (to non-Jews) causes his neighbors a big loss and his sin is great,” the letter said. “Anyone who sells (property to a non-Jew) must be cut off!!”

The move was initiated by Safed Chief Rabbi Shmuel Eliyahu in a bid to cut off the slow influx of Palestinian Arabs to the northern city that mostly go there to study at the Safed Academic College. Safed was ethnically cleansed of its Palestinian population during the 1948 War. The fact that the statement was highly racist was not a problem for those who advocated it.

“Racism originated in the Torah,” Rabbi Yosef Scheinen of Ashdod proudly pointed out. “The land of Israel is designated for the people of Israel.”

It is scary that such sentiments come from religious leaders who were employed by the Israeli government. While Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu did condemn the letter saying it was “undemocratic”, the question is whether the premier will do anything about it if the rabbis’ recommendation finds an ear with the public. My guess? Probably not. That is because Netanyahu, whether he says it or not, also believes the land of Israel is for the Jews only. Hence, the insistence on the Palestinians recognizing Israel as a Jewish state and the constant stalling of any progress in negotiations so settlement expansion could continue unabated. More land for the Jews is what it comes down to.

But back to the question at hand. If the Palestinians cannot live freely in Jerusalem, inside Israel or even in all of the West Bank, then what kind of state is being negotiated? Israel’s blatant disregard for international standards and democratic principles coupled with this arrogant and racist mentality that “the land of Israel” [which not long ago was known as Palestine] has always been for the Jews can never coincide with sincere efforts to create peace.

It is now for the world to realize this. Argentina and Brazil have stepped up and recognized a Palestinian state. Uruguay and other South American countries may follow suit. If the tide continues and we Palestinians make a concerted effort to encourage it, a viable Palestinian state will become an inevitable reality.

However, with the situation as it is today, I can only come to one conclusion: The Palestinians, if left to the mercy of the United States and Israel, will find themselves in cramped and isolated cantons over which they will have no real power. That is no way to live, now is it?

Hat Tip: Revolt of the Plebs

Militant Libertarian

Site owner, philosopher, certified genius, and general pain in the establishment's ass.

11 Comments

emanuel appel

Palestinian Arabs can live in their own territory once they accept Israel as a neighbor. It has never happened.

The fact is that even before the present arrangements, the Palestinian Arab had his own territory from 5/1948 to 1967. Yet, there were continual raids on Israel ending with the outcome of the 1967 war. Only after the West Bank and Gaza were occupied, did the attacks stop.

A Libertarian will find no soul mate among the Arab Moslem. Rather, the latter is a religious dictator over his own kind and others as evidenced by his historical record.

For a Libertarian to be blind to the history of the area and to support medieval mindsets is shameful.

Aaron

You’re going to justify what Israel is doing by claiming that the Muslims are non-libertarians. The Israeli state isn’t exactly “libertarian” either. Your entire comment is hogwash.

emanuel appel

If you read my argument, you’ll notice that my point is that Israel acts in self defense and that Arabs have a mania for depriving Jews of self determination.

Libertarians have nothing in common with Arabs. Therefore, the anti Israel point of view is based on bias and not logic.

Militant Libertarian

Your argument is that Israel and Jews are one and the same and that they have a “right” to be where they are. Israel was created by U.N. mandate. You know, that same U.N. that libertarians don’t like. You also assume that they are “acting in self-defense.” How is running people from their homes and confiscating their land (illegally, by that same UN mandate) “self defense?” If I come to your home and claim you’re endangering me and take your house and land, is that justified? After all, you obviously don’t like me because I’m libertarian. Right?

emanuel appel

No Militant,
I have no respect for your historical ignorance.
While you claim that Israel and Jews are not the same, you’d never say that about Arabs/Moslems. So, it’s a question of your bias.
Israel was created by her people in 1948 after being attacked by neighboring Arab armies. The UN had nothing to do with it since all the declarations in the world do not a nation make.
Actually, Israel ( the Palestine Mandate for Israel) was created in the 1922 San Remo conference which created all the Middle Eastern States.
When the Nazi tries to kill you and he loses ( as in the case of Germans in Czechoslovakia Sudetenland and Poland) you run him off and no one normal cries for him. Only Green Nazis get your sympathy. How cute.

Militant Libertarian

I think it’s your history that’s a little skewed. First, I haven’t said one word about Muslims, but since you did, I’ll say this: I have had plenty of Arab friends who were not Muslim. I think this is about YOUR bias, not mine.

As for Israel creating itself in 1948, that’s the biggest load of hogwash you’ve spewed yet. Here’s an Israeli government fucking website that says different: http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/Peace+Process/Guide+to+the+Peace+Process/UN+General+Assembly+Resolution+181.htm

Israel: created by UN mandate, not by some magic bullshit like you claim. As for your claim that Israel is not a Nazi-like state, look at these photos and tell me that this is “self-defense:”

That last one, by the way, is White Phosphorous. That’s a war crime by UN rules. It’s double a war crime because it’s being used in civilian territory. So take your Zionist-loving bullshit elsewhere. You know nothing about nothing.

Militant Libertarian

I’ve seen your bile on other sites, btw. I see your name is a German Jewish name. That explains your obvious bias.

emanuel appel

No, the UN did not “create” Israel. Israel’s armies did. What Arab State did the UN create? Zero. What State did the UN ever create? None. The UN is only a talking shop.

Now , regarding the consequences of war, the Arabs are very good at whining when the Jew kicks their ass blut are strangely quiet when they commit atrocities ( oops, I forgot, Allah made me do it as part of Jihad, my religious duty). Yes, you come after me, I’ll shove phosphorus up your behind. Don’t like it, back off!

I’m sorry if I offended your German sympathies. That explains your logic. Funny how many who profess to love “liberty” find themselves shielding Moslems and Nazis.

Militant Libertarian

I guess you can’t read an official Israeli website then. It proves your bullshit wrong.

As for my “German sympathies” I don’t think you know who I am. I’m not German. I’m Scots by ancestry. Not that it makes any difference. I’m neither Christian, Jew, nor Muslim anyway. Which, according to you, is all that matters. Funny how many Zionists are willing to spew hate mongering as justification for their own atrocities, Emanuel.

emanuel appel

Just because you put out a web site, am I supposed to read it because you say so? Hardly.

The plain fact is that we kicked the A-rabs ass when they tried to destroy us and we’ll do it as oftena s necessary.

I know who you are regardless of ancestry – a bigot who sides with America’s enemies just to get the Jew mad.

Side with the Moslem and see how fast he slaps a burka on yo’ momma’s ass unless he’s sliding into yours – hee, hee

forget it – I’m going to get me so more phosphorus – too busy for you

Militant Libertarian

It’s your own government’s website I referenced, Gomer. Goodbye and good riddance, bigot Nazi. Ya, my whole goal in life is to piss off Jews.. which profits me how? Right, it doesn’t. I know who America’s enemies are and they aren’t Muslims, they’re Zionists. Like you.